Tomato Best Firmware for Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS

|

If you own a Linksys WRT54G/GL/GS router you are probably aware that there are few alternative firmware's out there that squeeze more out of hardware that original hardware. Especially if you are doing some P2Ping, since default Linksys's settings are sub-optimal.


I have been running DD-WRT for a while know and it treated me nice. But after yesterday's IM chat with a friend I decided it's time to try something new.

Tomato is a small and simple replacement firmware by Jonathan Zarate, who has also developed another well know firmware HyperWRT +Tofu.

What is special with Tomato:

  • simple, efficient and modern Ajax enabled UI 
  • build in traffic monitor with really nice SVG graphs 
  • excellent preset QoS that actually works and also has graphing abilities which help a lot when "debugging" QoS
  •  pre-configured with high connection limits for for P2P
This alone is compelling enough and since development of DD-WRT has somehow slowed I decided to switch. So far things look very good, but I have only run Tomato for a day.

When doing a firmware upgrade, be sure to follow instructions and read read-me files.

My two hints:

  • Check that you want reset your router settings after upgrade. Do this if you upgrade from DD-WRT. If you fail to, check Tomato's read-me for 3 possible solutions if you get stuck. 
  • Although official site say there is little documentation, there is a nice Wikibook about Tomato firmware with tons of hints and suggestions.


0 comments:

Post a Comment