How ’bout an Ostrich Burger?

|

….And now for something completely different. I was in the market the other day and happened to be looking through the freezer section for some buffalo meat, a lingering craving after my recent trip to Texas. I usually peruse this aisle just to see what they have on offer like frozen mash potatoes. I’ve never understood why people would buy frozen mash like this. By the time you have defrosted the mash you could go peel and boil a fresh batch them, am I right? Anyway, my buffalo search was unsuccessful although I did come across a package of ostrich patties. Now this was interesting and the more I read on the package the more I wanted to try it.

Here’s a few fun facts courtesy of Blackwing Meats, the brand I purchased. (I’m going to pass these off like I knew them already, k?)

Ostrich is a wonderful healthy red meat with the flavor and texture of beef. It’s rich in both protein and iron and is actually lower in fat, calories and cholesterol than skinless chicken or turkey. Our Ostrich meats are rich in Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids which are widely recognized as being beneficial to health. Enhanced Omega 3 and Omega 6 levels are achieved by feeding our ostrich a specially formulated diet.
  • They come from Africa
  • South Africa has been raising them for over 200 years
  • Ostrich’s can provide leather, meat and feathers
  • Ostrich leather is the second most valuable in the world and is well known for its toughness and strength
  • The meat tastes like beef but is higher in omega 3 fatty acids, is lower in saturated fat and calories
  • Ostrich is the largest bird in the world
  • It is unable to fly as it lacks a breast bone and doesn’t sing
  • It can run at staggering speeds of up to 45 mph and has a powerful and deadly kick
  • they are omivores and eat whatever is available from plants to insects and small lizards
  • Adults can grow up to 9 feet tall and weight 350-400lb!
  • they can live up to 50-75 years
The meat Market in the US for Ostrich is expanding to meet the demand for healthier red meats, if you have yet to try it, consider ordering some from us you will be glad you did.

Yes indeedy, glad I tried it. It’s lean and has the same texture as beef but a bit gamier. I quite liked it! For a guy who doesn’t eat much red meat this could be a great option for me this summer. Who’s game?

RECIPE:
Serves 2

2 x 4-6 oz Ostrich patties
drizzle olive oil
avocado slices
green leaf lettuce

NOTE: I remolded my patties, which were flatter, to make them smaller yet ticker to be sure I didn’t overcook them.

CHIPOTLE-TOMATO RELISH:
1 cup cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
1/4 cup red onion, fine dice
1 chipotle pepper, chopped
1 chipotle pepper, whole (to be removed before eating)
1 tbsp chipotle sauce
1 tbsp red wine vinegar
1/2 cup broth
2 tbsp olive oil
S&P



DIRECTIONS:
Preheat small skillet for 30 secs on medium heat. Add olive oil and onions, saute for about a minute, stirring. Add in tomatoes, cook for another minute, stirring, then add in peppers, sauce, broth and vinegar. Mix well and simmer on medium-low heat until tomatoes have broken down and broth has reduced. Taste and season with a pinch of salt and pepper.
While relish is reducing, preheat a grill pan on medium-high heat for 30 seconds. Season patties on both sides with S&P. Drizzle olive oil on the pan and sear burgers for about 4-5 minutes on each side for med-rare.

TO ASSEMBLE:
Look at the photo but don’t forget to rake out the whole chipotle pepper unless you really want fire in your mouth! I made my version Paleo-friendly, hence the use of lettuce as the bun.



Courtesy of Gavan Murphy

0 comments:

Post a Comment